.

.

Sunday, August 21, 2022

Nova Scotia - Holly

 Holly is in Nova Scotia on the South shore this week.

  • 8.20 Hubbards/Surfside Inn
  • 8.21 Chester/Gray Gables
  • 8.22 Lunenburg/Rum Runner Inn
  • 8.23 Lunnenburg/Rum Runner Inn
  • 8.24 Liverpool/Lane's Privateer Inn


Calais, ME Friday 8.19.22:

A long drive to Calais, ME and Judith did all of the driving!  We stayed at Redclyffe Motor Inn, Robbinston, ME which was like stepping back in time to circa 1950 motel.  The very nice thing about this was that we had views from our deck across the St. Croix River to St. Andrews, New Brunswick.  We were advised not to swim in the water because of a Great White Shark sighting several weeks prior.  Note to self: eat up before arriving here because there is nothing around.  We settled for a gas station pizza.

View from our room's deck.

Same view a little later.

This church is across the street from the hotel.

Early the morning of 8.20.22 we crossed the border and drove around The Bay of Fundy to Hubbards, Nova Scotia where we met the rest of the "team".

Hubbards/Peggy's Cove 8.21.22:

It was a hot day (maybe 85 degrees) and we were glad to meet up with everyone at the Surfside Inn which was tucked in along a cove with a sandy beach.  A popular spot on this day of lots of excitement.  Judith got set up with her e-bike.  I managed to go up and down the stairs many times to our very well appointed room with queen bed and sofa couch.  The bathroom had a big square tub which I loved!  Once the team set off I headed out to do some sight seeing.


First stop was memorial to Swiss Air flight 111 9.2.1998. "They have been joined to the Sea and the Sky.  May they rest in peace."

Then on to Peggy's Cove which is astoundingly beautiful although quiet touristy.  I didn't get a photo of the much photographed lighthouse because there were so many people.  This cove is very picturesque.  



WIP Fill in with PC photos












On my way back from Peggy's cove I stopped to rest and had a quiet lunch in a school parking lot. Yes, there must be enough people living here year-round that they have a school.


Chester, NS Sunday 8.21.22:

We (John, Karla, Judith and me) spend our 2nd night in a lovely B&B, Gray Gables, just outside Chester because there was no room for the four of us at the (Mecklenburgh) Inn.  We didn't complain because it was a beautiful home and just a short walk about from the Graves Island Provincial Park where I spent the day strolling on lovely trails.


Let's see if I can remember the names of everyone on the "team".  Meg, Ruth, Duke, Anne, Judith (my travel partner), Donna, Karla, me, John, Judith.  This was a delicious dinner in Chester at The Rope Loft.  We had a terrific waitress named Suzanne and I had a delicious salad and something else(?) shared with Donna.  

The views of the water from the restaurant were beautiful and after a filling dinner we walked a short distance to the harbor where another group shot was taken.

After seeing the team off the next morning I went back to Chester and visited the Kiwi Pantry which was by far my favorite restaurant/coffee shop of the trip.  While there I visited with folks from a Backroads cycling tour.  I also bought soap from a woman passionate about her healing art of soap making from seaweed.  seaweedsoapcompany.com.  I had intended on taking the Tancook Island Ferry because I wanted to explore the trails and island shop that was written up in the book but I missed the ferry because I couldn't find parking.  I missed going the day before because of the limited crossings on a Sunday.  Note to self: check ferry schedule in advance and plan accordingly!





Mahone  Bay:

On the way to Lunenburg I passed through Mahone Bay which boasts 3 large scenic churches.  Quite touristy with shops, restaurants and people. I did find an interesting shop that I spent quite a bit of time in as they were demoing how to make jewelry and items of pewter.  It reminded me of our Danforth Jewelers here in VT.  Amos Pewter is the shop (no photo of it).






Blue Rocks and Lunenburg Monday and Tuesday  8.22.22 and 8.23.22:

We spent 2 nights in Lunenburg at the Rum Runners Inn and it was time well spent.  It's a beautiful UNESCO historic town.  Read any guide book to learn more.  We will all have memories of the hotel owner, Tim, who was there to welcome us and provide us with info and support when needed.  We had views from the deck to the harbor activity being right across from the Fisheries Museum where I spent some time on the 2nd day learning a lot about cod fishing which has sadly been fished out for many years. Some misc info:

  • Cod have lateral lines (remember why?)
  • Ground feeders. Barbel is on the chin to help with bottom feeding.
  • 3 priorities for fishing: Time. Temp. Handling.
  • How to prep fish: Bleed. Gut. Then pack in ice. Salt used to be used.
  • Look for round fish vs. flat fish when buying fresh whole fish. Look for clear shiny eyes.  Red gills.  No cracks.  No yellow (I think this is like bowel)! Should be white in color. I found Rosie Tanner fish video very interesting.  I wasn't able to catch any live demos but would go back for them.
  • Fish can swallow pebbles to sink to bottom. Eg fish bladders.
  • 150-200 lbs/hour

These baskets are in front of Rum Runner Inn.  The layout of the city and all houses are restored to historic standards making this a UNESCO world site.

Dinner in Lunenburg where I was introduced to Radlers.  I liked the grapefruit flavored one.  Thank you June for the intro!  Another first was:


WIP Blue Rocks

The rocks are said to be blue because of the reflection of the blue water.  The water is very clear.  Or maybe it's because of the blue sky which was very blue with puffy white clouds when I was there.  They didn't look blue to me though.




Leaving Lunenburg on La Have ferry where just on the other side is an amazing ferry.  I loved my vegan chocolate breakfast ball.  Wish I could have another right NOW!






WIP Crescent Beach

This is a beautiful crescent shaped long sandy beach with water apparently heated by jet stream currents. I was happily watching the border collies some distance ahead and finally caught up to them. Very happy dogs. Their human said there is not money in border collies. No one wants to see working dogs. They are a pleasure to own though. The old couple must be locals and came for their daily swim. Brrrr. Nothing else if interest except that I chatted to two old men who used to frequently visit east Berkshire and mentioned Enosburg Falls and even the dairy barn. They also inquired about Bernie.  small world. 











No comments:

Post a Comment