.

.

Monday, March 6, 2017

Bad Skiing

I knew it would be terrible but I was bored. I went to Bolton after work for a x-country ski tour. Went up to Stowe view and toured around at higher elevations for a while. Sometimes there was 2 inches of snow on top of the hard pack that you could turn on. Sometimes it was just hard pack and sometimes just dangerous. Lots of sticks and assorted tree parts since it had been windy lately and also since many feet of snow had melted, exposing a lot of branches from earlier in the season. I thought I better go down the downhill trails since getting down from the Stowe view area in these conditions would be ugly. On Sun and Mon there is no night skiing at Bolton so when I came out of the woods at around 4:30 I had the mountain to myself. I had the woods to myself also. I didn't see one other skier the whole time I was out. I was expecting at least one other crazy person would be out there. The groomers were OK going down. Having x-country skis on made it marginally interesting.
Was it better than sitting on the couch? Of course it was.
Could it get worse? It probably will. More rain and warm weather short term followed by more cold with no snow in the forecast.
Will I go again? Yes. The real question is how bad can it be?

Going down the groomers

Good snow for a short section

Ice and rocks. I like skiing rocks better than ice.

Stowe view


Camels hump seen from woods



No comments:

Post a Comment