.

.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Lake Arrowhead

I have not been kayaking in Lake Arrowhead before. I drive by it going to Smugglers Notch a lot in the winter. The lake is formed from a dam on the Lamoille river. It is actually good for kayaking since it is very shallow except for a band of deep water, running roughly along the western edge. Motor boats can't get into most areas because of the water depth. Some areas are full of logs that have lodged up against shallow sand bars. There were very few boats out on this day which is surprising for Memorial day weekend. I saw 1 motor boat and perhaps 5 kayaks.
I started going up stream from the launch. This goes under a few bridges and turns into shallow rapids quickly so I turned around. Heading back I went through shallow areas which had a lot of nesting birds and sand bars to avoid. The lake is long. I made it maybe 2/3 of the way down it before turning around. I did not see the dam that is at the Southern end. There are not many houses on the lake. Maybe 10% of the shoreline has houses on it.

Shallow rapids up stream of lake (hard to see in this picture)



Looking South




Looking up stream from boat launch

Biking near Thompson Point:






No comments:

Post a Comment