.

.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

LaPlatte River (not skiing) 4/27/14

It rained most of yesterday and was raining today. By 9AM I was thinking about interior painting. I knew I was in trouble. I checked the weather and decided things were not that bad. I decided to go for the first kayak of the season. The LaPlatte river is a nice paddle starting in Shelburne Bay. There are a lot of birds here a little later in the season. Heron's, Egret's, King Fisher's and a lot of other birds nest and hang out in this area. This time of year I only saw geese.
The current picks up slowly in the stream as you get closer to the Falls past Shelburne center. Sometimes there are trees and other debris that prevent you from going all the way up the river. This time the river was clear and the current is what eventually turned me around. It gets to the point where you can't paddle hard enough to make progress. When you turn around it is a nice high speed glide for a while.
Someone built a bridge across the river last year. This is nice since it allows you to access a lot of walking trails on both sides of the river. The Town decided they didn't want to allow the bridge. The bridge is still up but it is wired together so you can't use it to cross. Unfortunate.
I did get out skiing after work Friday at Bolton. Hike and ski. Sunny and 50. Perfect snow conditions. That was 4/25. We will see how much more of that there is.


Beaver. Also check out the frog on the log.





Shelburne gang activity


Closed bridge.

Current picks up





No comments:

Post a Comment