.

.

Thursday, July 19, 2018

NH Part 2

This is a more long winded description of NH trip with too many pictures. See part 1 for overview.

Went to the north end of the presidential mountains in NH. A quick trip driving over after work, sleeping in the van, and then hiking starting at 6:00. The first up was slow but interesting. I started out on Airline and then went to Short Line. This leads to Mossy Falls and the Ice Caves. The Ice Caves are about 1 mile long but very slow going. I had to take my pack off a few times and push it in front or drag it behind to make it through. There is ice in the Ice Caves. Even in July. After the caves I hiked up a steep slide to the ridge. From there I took the Great Gulf trail to the side of Adams to Jefferson. This is high ridge walking on mostly rock. From Jefferson I went back and climbed Adams via a spur trail off of the Great Gulf trail. I then went down the Star Lake trail to the Madison hut, up Madison, and down Watson Pass to the Brook Trail. A long day. About 15 miles and ~6K of elevation gain. The first 2+ miles going down Madison was steep rock and I was ready for it to end. Lots of waterfalls at the beginning and end of the trip. Nice cool sunny day and nice to walk along the ridge between the mountains although it is a rough (rocky) trail. I originally planned on going up Adams but it was a nice day and there was plenty of time so I just kept going!


Up to the ridge via ice caves and slide. ROUGH trail!

Mossy Falls






Looking st slide



Ice Caves are under this pile of rocks






Ice in Ice Caves






Nearing top of slide










To Jefferson - Great Gulf trail:

Madison from top of ridge

Looking down at trail I came up



Jefferson



Looking back to Adams

Mt Washington






Trail to Jefferson


House size rocks


Jefferson


Very top of Jefferson





Adams and Madison:

Madison from near top of Adams










Going down Adams






Large area of quartz? in one area. Looked like snow from a distance.


Top of Madison and down:

Adams from Madison



Brook Trail














No comments:

Post a Comment