.

.

Friday, August 24, 2018

Smugglers Notch

Today was exploring the cliffs on the Mansfield side of Smugglers Notch. I was hoping to get up onto the ridge and maybe to the pond that is up at the top of the Hell Brook trail. I went up into three different areas. I parked at the main lot near the information booth. I started by going right up from there, past the caves, and up following a wide stream bed. I followed that up to the point where I could not go any further (too steep). I backtracked down some and then went left of the stream if you are going up. There is a trail to follow and it comes out into an area I have been in before. Slide area that keeps getting steeper. Interesting rocks and cliffs and good views. The rock in the notch is very loose and slides easily. Even when you get to the steeper parts where you need to use your hands everything is unstable. I also explored the larger stream bed that is South of the main parking lot. There is a turn in just before the road starts going down to Stowe and the stream access is there. Again the stream bed got too steep before you got any good views but going to the left of it as you go up there is another trail that goes into a slide area and more steep rocks. This looked promising to get up onto the ridge but again too steep given the loose rock.








You can see the road where the main parking area is in this picture.




































Looking up at area. 2nd little peak over from the left is where I was in the AM.
Further to the left later in the day.


Left of stream South of parking area





















No comments:

Post a Comment