.

.

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Tripyramid - North and South Peak

I remember this one a little from when I hiked it 45 years ago. Very steep. The plan was to do a 10 mile loop that went up North Peak, over to South Peak and down. The North Peak trail turns into a steep slide. Most of it was snow that I could kick into and then also using my hands it was pretty manageable. As I got near the top it turned more into rock that was just below the snow and ice. I was very tempted to keep going because I could see the top wasn't far away but if I fell I knew I would accelerate fast. I tried to get more into the woods, off the slide, but this has the same conditions and was too dangerous in my opinion. So, I went back down the North side and up the South side. The South side is steep also but faces more South so didn't have the ice that the North side had. This had nice views most of the way up and you could eventually see the North Peak and Mt Washington. So, I only climbed the South Peak on this day but with 12+ miles and very steep up/down twice I had a pretty long day. The parking for this trail is near Waterville Valley at the Livermore parking area. This parking area also accesses a number of cross country ski trails that are part of Waterville Valley. Could be good mountain biking and there are a few trails created for mountain biking in this area. Lots of nice waterfalls along the approach trail.







Looking up North slide









South Peak trail

Waterville Valley









Pretty big rock!


x-country trails

No comments:

Post a Comment