.

.

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Passaconway and Whiteface

These are two 4000 footers near Moultonborough NH (25 miles).
The plan was to go up the Tom Wiggin trail to Whiteface and then over to Passaconway. There is a significant stream on this route so I turned around since I didn't see a way across without wading through water up to my knees. I back tracked to Dicey's Mill trail and went up Passaconway that way. Then over to Whiteface and down the Blueberry ledge trail. If I was going back here I would go up the Blueberry ledge trail to the top of Whiteface and then over to Passaconway.
Whiteface is the more interesting of the two with numerous lookouts and a steep trail. Both have views North to Mt Washington and what I think is the Lafayette range. To get a good view from Passaconway you need to go a little beyond the top where there is a small View sign that goes down about .2 miles to a nice overlook with clear views North. Whiteface has close to 360 views if you include all the various view points on the way up and the top.
This day was 11 miles and about 4000 feet of elevation change. Still 1-2 feet of snow above 2500 feet so a lot of the day was hiking in snow. All the snow is keeping the streams very high this time of year.











Whiteface top





Looking at Passaconway from Whiteface




No comments:

Post a Comment