.

.

Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Hilton Head - Sea Pines

 We went to this area last week. Today the plan was to bike around the area. It is a large gated community so the way in by bike is to take the beach to bypass the gate. Riding on the beach was interesting! It was low tide so you could ride on some well packed sand and the riding was pretty good. Nice to ride along the beach with waves breaking to one side.

Sea Pines is pretty nice on a bike. Lots of trails and more trails that are not near busy roads. I went to the Baynard ruins, the Forest Preserve, and a number of roads near the center of the Sea Pines area. The Forest Preserve is pretty nice. Some short trails around a pond. On the ride I saw a number of alligators up on the land. Since there was nothing between me and them I didn't get very close to try to take pictures! The alligators ranged in size from 3 feet to 8 feet. The largest one was near a pond in the Forest Preserve. I heard that the Sea Pines bike trails are crazy busy in the summer. Today there were few other bikers. Mostly people walking around near the golf courses. 



Route I took (34 miles):





Trail riding and beach riding:




Baynard Ruins:






Alligator from a distance:



More bike trails on Sea Pines. Near forest preserve.




1 comment:

  1. I love Ken's selfie. I don't understand, though, why he didn't closer and squat down beside one of the gators! I missed this trip because I had to work but would like to return to this area. March gave us a tip on how to access the Pines from the beach. That warrants mention of all of the gated "plantations". There are quite a few on the island with many of them having Port Royal in the name. The charge is $9 to get into Sea Pines by bike (unless you're a friend of March's) and others just turn you away if you don't live there. Even Autumn and David's have a guarded entry. Ken has a much new bike than mine so he brought it inside but I just removed my seat and locked mine in the bike area and it was always there in the morning. That bird with her wings spread is an anhinga aka snake bird. When swimming under water she sticks up her long neck as if to strike like a snake. Really cool.

    ReplyDelete