.

.

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Petrified Forest NP

Most of the day was driving by all kinds of things I wanted to stop and see. I went from Pahrump in Nevada through Arizona on I40 to Holbrook. Once the recession/depression sets in Holbrook is the kind of town that may not notice. Very rural and not much happening so they may just keep on doing whatever it is they do.
Why rush back? Well, it is hard to say what is going to happen. Places are shutting down including parks and hotels. I can camp in the car but what if they impose stay in place rules like Europe? What if I get this COVID-19 virus and I am living in my car? What if someone in my family gets sick? Too many unknowns.
I was able to spend about 3 hours at Petrified Forest NP before it got dark. Very strange place. A forest that got infused with minerals over many years and then is exposed from erosion. A large number of rock trees that break under there own weight. Also an interesting desert area in general.

Driving: Today felt like people were on edge including me. I40 going West was closed near Flagstaff. Some guy was in the other lane and there were about 6 police cars on the West side with rifles out and there happened to be an overpass that had what looked like a SWAT team and more rifles pointed out to the other side of the highway. The guy at the other end of the rifles probably had a bad day and everyone trying to drive West had a good 2+ hour wait I would imagine. I went by it at 70 mph and saw the whole scene in a few seconds except for the backed up traffic that went on for miles. I tried to look it up later in the day but there was another shooting closer to town the caught the attention of the news people.

When I arrived at the hotel the person there said they were closing down the New Mexico border. She heard this from other people and did not know much about it. Based on all the other crap that had happened in the past few days it was believable. There was a fake article saying this when I looked it up on the Internet. Luckily a friend from VT did some quick research and told me that I could in fact drive tomorrow. Strange days. Tired and stressed until I got to the Petrified forest.

During the drive (not Petrified Forest park)

This and rest are Petrified Forest

Strange place!



Stone logs break when they are exposed due to erosion



























No comments:

Post a Comment