.

.

Saturday, March 7, 2020

Zion NP

Two days at Zion national park. I have been there before but a long time ago. This is a good time of year to go since this is a popular park and a ranger I talked to said it is pretty crazy starting in May.
The first day I went to Angels Landing. A popular hike that goes to the top of a rock face. You go up on a thin ridge and there are chains to hold onto. There are many parts of the trail down lower where switch backs are carved into the rick. Not a trail you could make today. The views most of the way up are amazing. After Angels Landing I continued further out on West rim trail. More on this later. In the afternoon I went to the Emerald pools. Another impressive canyon. The trail ends at a pool surrounded by thousand foot cliffs with a mist of a waterfall coming off the top. At the end of the day I went to the end of the canyon and walked to the narrows. I didn't do it but if you have proper gear you can continue into the narrows by wading through the river.

Day 2 started with the sand beach trail. A relatively flat trail that looked around the base of some impressive mountains. Nice area and peaceful. I saw 2 people during the hike. Next I went back to the West Rim trail. This goes for 13 miles total one way. I went out about 4 miles and turned around. There was snow on the trail up there and ice pieces whizzing down from up high. I saw a very large bird up there. Condor? I don't know what large birds they have here. Another spectacular area filled with very steep canyon walls. At the end of the day I went on the Watchman trail. Leaves from the visitor center and although lower than most of the hikes it goes up a canyon to a nice view point.

Busy days! Great park and nice to be wandering around all day instead of driving.
Tomorrow is a quick stop at Bryce NP on way to Park City ski area.
I am trying to get a lot done each day. At some point I will realize I have time and will slow down.

Angels Landing:




































Emerald Pools:


















The Narrows:
























No comments:

Post a Comment