.

.

Sunday, September 25, 2022

Grand Manan - day 1

 The day started with a 1.5 hour ferry ride. Nice sunny day and good breakfast on an the ferry. They say you can see whales on this route but I didn't see anything today. 

After arriving I went to the light house on the North end of the island close to the ferry. Then followed the "red" trail to hole in the wall. Hole in the wall was different than I expected. Instead of a cave it is like an arch going out into the ocean. This trail had a lot of great views as you are walking along the top of cliffs most of the way.

At the end of the day I went to Seal Cove and looked at the remains of the herring processing buildings. People are still using some of the buildings for what looks like lobster equipment.

There should be whales near the island this time of year according to a local I talked to. Will have to keep my eyes open. 

Ran into someone from VT that also has a house here. You can stay for up to 6 months without getting into visa issues.

The place I am staying, Castalia Marsh Retreat, is nice. Some very nice small houses that overlook the marsh. Gardens and chickens and a gathering room. I type this from the gathering room which has a kitchen, a big common area, and a deck. No one here now but the owner says it will be busy starting Thursday. The tent sites are also nice. I am staying in a pull in near the common area since I am in the van.

Sunrise from campground. St Andrews:


Ferry ride:





Hey, they are lowering the life boats. That can't be
good? We were half way across but it was just a
training exercise






Arrival at Grand Manan island;











Hole in the wall:







Castalia Marsh Resort:
Common area




One of the cabins:


Drive to Seal Cove:














No comments:

Post a Comment