.

.

Friday, March 17, 2023

Travel VT -> CO

 A ski and hike trip similar to last year only shorter. Most skiing and hiking will be in Colorado and Utah. Last year there was more branching out. The issue with these car trips is you have to get there and then get back. Driving is usually not much fun when you have this far to go.

Day 1, Georgia VT to Springfield OH:

March 16, Thu

This day went about as well as can be expected. Traffic didn't get to the point of slowing you down and weather was good. First night in van was about 45 degrees. Comfortable.

I90, I71, I70

Pictures of sunrise in Vermont:





Day 2, Springfield OH to Abeline KS.

March 17, Fri

This day was tough. Started out raining pretty hard off and on. The first real trouble was Indianapolis. I70 turned into a pile of construction in the city with detours that I could not follow. I took the wrong end of a Y, and could see it was a mistake, but too late. 30 minute very slow tour of part of the city in massive traffic trying to find I70 again. After this mess I got going for a few hours and then they closed I70 west for an accident. 30 miles of back roads in Illinois and then back to the highway. An hour lost with an interstate worth of trucks and cars trying to drive on back roads through small towns. Interesting? After that things got better and I finally made it to Kansas. Looking at a cold night of 18 degrees. Hope the winter sleeping bag works!

This day was supposed to be easy driving. I70 all the way. It turned out being pretty stressful trying to stay on it and in one case having it closed. It also snowed hard for about 15 minutes in Kansas. You could see the snow clouds coming from far away as I drove West.

A few Kansas pictures:







Day 3: Abeline Kansas to Denver CO

March 18, Sat

A relatively easy day. Little traffic driving through grass lands in Kansas and Eastern Colorado. Drove by hundreds of wind mills. Clear day so I could see the Rockies. Happy that I am not driving much for a while. The hope is to ski tomorrow.

Both Loves Truck Stops in Springfield OH and Abeline KS were OK. The night in Kansas was quieter and therefore nicer.

A few pictures of sunrise in Kansas from the car. 






No comments:

Post a Comment