.

.

Thursday, April 27, 2023

Hiking and Skiing

 Hiking: Mohawk Lakes trailhead in Breckenridge. Spruce Creek Trail.

X-country skiing: Willowbrook Trail in Silverthorne.

The plan was to x-country ski today. At the first stop I decided to hike rather than ski because the trail appeared to be steep and narrow. This was probably a good call but lots of the trail was skiable and walking in the snow was hard. This trail has mining remnants, waterfalls, and lakes. Of course everything is frozen and covered in ten feet of snow. The first mile was trail then it turned into areas where you could tell people had walked a few snow storms ago and then it was just no trail. At this point I was 50% lost half the time! I did manage to find the frozen waterfall and a mining cabin and one of the lakes. Nice hike! 

Next I went to the Willowbrook Trail. I had seen ski tracks coming from this trail when I passed it while hiking the Mesa Cortina trail last week. This is a fine trail for skiing. Spring snow since it warmed up in the afternoon. Also got cloudy so the views in the AM were a lot better.













Old mining cabin






Next three photos are waterfall. 








Not easy to get in as no one shoveled the walkway!








Outdoor railway museum I stumbled onto leaving Breckenridge.




X-country skiing. Willowbrook Trail.












No comments:

Post a Comment