.

.

Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Panquitch UT -> Monticello UT

 It snowed 2 inches last night and I knew it snowed a lot more further North. With that in mind I decided to drive South through Kanab, Page, Bluff on routes 89, 98, 160, 163, 191. This is a remote route! It drops down into Arizona. Not as remote as some Nevada drives I have done but still... pretty remote. I had a wake up call 15 minutes into the drive when a deer ran out into the road but stopped. I had enough time to slow considerably and go around the deer. After that I was alert! About half this drive has interesting things to look at and about half doesn't. 

I stopped at Glen Canyon Dam and also did a nice short hike here on the Hanging Garden Trail. Thank you Holly for letting me know this existed while I was driving.  It ends at a colony of ferns growing on the inside of an alcove. Interesting rock that looked like it was underwater at some point in the past. 

Route 163 is the Monument Valley area. This is Navaho land and to get close to the monuments you need to pay a fee at a gate. I didn't do it since I know I will be at Canyonlands tomorrow. You can see everything from a distance from the road.

A slow drive with lots of stops. Got to the camp ground around 5:30. Light snow going sideways due to the wind and cold tonight (15 degrees). As I write this it has cleared. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and cold.

Glen Canyon Dam:





Hanging Garden Trail:

















Monument Valley Area:


Red sand blowing around in some areas:












Mexican Hat: It is a town but this is the rock:




Camp ground:



Close to full moon:


Private bathrooms at this camp ground. Clean.




Camp ground next morning. 10 degrees. Cold!!





No comments:

Post a Comment