.

.

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Kansas

 I stayed off I70 for half the day today. Started with a detour to Mushroom Rocks and Kanopolis State Parks. The first is small but pretty interesting. Lots of standing rocks and multiple mushroom rocks. These are 60 - 100 million years old. I got there before sunrise so it was a good time to check them out as the sun came up. Kanopolis is a large man made lake with multiple campgrounds around it. A good place to camp some day?

Maybe 250 miles from Colorado Springs I cut down on 40 and other roads. Pretty uninhabited area. There was a sign at one point that said no services for 90 miles. Rolling straight road with prairie on both sides and the occasional tumble weed crossing the road. The middle of Kansas on I70 was a combination of old style oil pumps and wind mills. 

Another long trip out West. It worked out well. Some snow at the start but mostly good weather. Colorado Springs is getting a significant snow storm tonight into tomorrow. Good that I made it ahead of that. Some of the roads today had signs that said they only plowed from 7AM to 7PM and they also had closure gates.

Mushroom Rocks:


















Kanopolis:








Driving in Kansas:







Colorado Springs:




The next morning (Thu). Glad I am not driving today:




No comments:

Post a Comment