.

.

Thursday, March 3, 2022

Death Valley day 2

 Wildrose mountain - 9064 ft, 2200 elevation gain, 8.5 miles rt.

in a park that is famous for its low point there are also a lot of mountains. Telescope peak at 11K was an option but I opted for an easier hike in less snow. What really made the decision was a 6 mile rt extra road walk I would have to do for Telescope on a 4x4 road. Wildrose is a very nice hike with views of Telescope and others and views down into the valley. There was snow but not much on the trail. I had spikes but did not bother with them. 

the hike starts at Charcoal Kilns.  A series of well constructed charcoal furnaces lined up in a row from the late 1800s. Still in great shape. The trail up was a long steady climb. Nothing difficult. I was the only one there until I ran into four people when I was half way down. The scary part is the access road. The van had to climb 6500 feet! The last two miles were "good enough for a sedan most of the time" gravel road. With no cell service for days and no one around, the road was what had me nervous. A flat would be a long experience. Note to self: get a real spare (no donut). 

End of day was shower at stovepipe wells. This was 5 dollars at a hotel pool area. No one around. Why? This was a good deal in Death Valley and clean. Stay as long as you like. After that I took another close to sunset walk at the Sand Dunes. 

climbing to 9000 feet allowed me to get and receive one text. First communication in Death Valley! I saw a coyote today and a bunch of donkeys. Very nice to be up in cool air and a very different landscape today. There was a cactus on the summit though!































Back at sand dunes...












No comments:

Post a Comment