.

.

Saturday, March 12, 2022

Big Meadow area

 It is saturday so just like VT downhill skiing is too crowded. Luckily there are other options. Maybe better options? Route 89 heading toward Kirkwood has lots of options. I used the same x country ski map I used when I got here last Sunday and had a great day. The parking is pull out off the road in the winter. I thought it would be busy so got to the parking at 7:30. Not necessary. 

I parked at Big Meadow Tahoe Rim Trail and then took a short trail that went down to a crossing point where I could access the Big Meadow x country trails. The snow wasn't good at 7:30 at least not at the start. I brought snow shoes so put them on. This turned out great as I could go into steeper terrain. I followed the x country trails for maybe 1.5 miles and then started going up hill. I didn't know what to expect but it kept getting better and better. I ended up at the top of an 8500 foot mountain with great views and continued into an area of cliffs and rock formations. A lot better than I expected and got lucky finding this mountain and this area. Ended up being just shy of 8 miles. Needed the snow shoes as there was still plenty of snow.

The Big Meadow Tahoe Rim Trail looks interesting also. A long, I think it said 170 mile trail going around the lake. I was pretty happy where I ended up!

after the hike I went to the end of 89 where it hits 88. There were some cars pulled over here and I could see ski tracks. Since I had skis I put them on. This is a big area of mostly flat field with a river and lots of surrounding mountains. Intense sun again! Nice fast skiing on an inch of spring snow on a solid base.

glad I did not battle the crowds at the downhill place. I saw one person snow shoeing! Another fine day in the Tahoe area.







Off trail heading up













































X country skiing











No comments:

Post a Comment